Tuesday, May 22, 2012

This Is Not My Grandpa's Democratic Party

I had a discussion with my cousin earlier today regarding some left wing nonsense he had on his Facebook page. He is a little older than me and I've always looked up to him. We rarely discuss politics because he is from the democratic side of the family and we really love each other so we usually refrain. Be that as it may, our ego's got the best of us and we traded political punches.

 I hit him with "Grandpa would not be able to stomach today's democratic party".

 I love this because I'm putting words in the mouth of a deceased democrat and declaring it as a fact.

 Cuz had a cleaver response: "I know he hated Reagan".

 True enough, he did detest the Gipper and was not shy about letting everyone know it. He was a lifelong democrat as far as I know, a proud member of the party that fought for the working man. He was white, catholic, middle class, hardworking, grouchy, a tad racist and had no use for laziness. The era he grew up in produced a lot a great Americans just like him. The working man in the past didn't have the the laws we have today that protect workers and they did not have agencies like OSHA. They had to fight for decent working conditions, fair pay, and decency in the workplace. This is very different than the work environment today. I cannot walk into our plant without proper ear and eye protection paid for by the company I work for.

 The democrat party has gone from that of the working man to that of the non-working man. It is the party that protects the guy who doesn't like to work, non-traditional working woman, environmentalists, and the academic elite. They say we are a bunch a grouchy old bastards who refuse to change with the times. They view our constitution as a living document rather than the law of the land. Today's democrat sees all problems solved by government and other peoples money. They detest any mention of religion and associate all Christians with the Puritans who executed the witches in Salem.

 Catholics have gravitated to the democratic party for years largely because of the their commitment to feeding the poor. The abortion issue causes some discomfort for sure but Catholics have been able to stomach it believing the good outwieghs the bad. However, with Obama making a play to force Catholic employers to pay for contraceptives and abortions, many are beginning to flip.

 Something smells fishy when grandpa's democratic party is all too happy to pay the lazy to stay home. Oh did I say that? I must be a hater! Sorry, my dad and grandpa both said if you refused to work, you were a useless lazy peace a crap. This used to be called values, today it's hate speak. In the Obama economy we are expected to pull ourselves up by the bootstraps and head to the welfare office. Oh brother...

No comments:

Post a Comment